Monday, June 14, 2010

Training, Sunday, June 13

Second OFFICIAL Training Walk. Led by Judy at the Alpharetta Greenway. The 6.2 mile trail started at Rock Mill Rd to Mansell AMC and back. Judy had gathered a nice turnout of about 10 folks including me and my teammate, Marilee.

I had high hopes decked out in my fancy new shoes! I started out strong. Keeping right up with the pack, but quickly was left lagging behind as the pain began in my lower limbs and ankles. UGH! I kept going, cheering myself on knowing the usual first 2 miles is the most brutal and once the pain subsides, I'll be fine... I watched the group get further and further away from me.

Walking alone is tough. You're left to deal with yourself and your thoughts and it's really hard NOT to focus on the pain and let the negativity set in. So, I started trying to become my own cheering station! It was so funny to me, that I was laughing at myself and people walking by probably thought I was nuts! But I didn't care! ;)

At just about what I assumed was the 2 mile (give or take – my pedometer decided not to work anymore! Ugh!!) mark, I noticed the pain was gone as usual!

The good news is... Judy taught me some stretches which seemed to help and I apparently, need to do much more often before/after each walk. And... The shoes seemed to be a bit more cushy.

By the end of the 6.2 miles, I felt pretty good and believed I could go a few more miles. But didn't DARE push it. Not yet. I have plenty of time to build on my training. And will be taking my sweet time to get there. ;)

Still averaging about 20 miles / week. Not bad, eh!?

0 comments: